It’s no secret that summer can be a difficult time for mental health. The warmer weather and longer days can be a trigger for those struggling with seasonal affective disorder (SAD), while the added pressure of swimsuit season can lead to body dysmorphia. For many, the “lazy days of summer” are anything but, as they juggle work, family, and social obligations. So how can you prioritize your mental health this summer?
Here are some tips from our experts at Neuro Wellness Spa Psychiatry in Santa Monica:
1. Make time for yourself: It’s important to schedule in some “me time” this summer, even if it’s just 10-15 minutes each day. Use this time to do something that makes you happy, whether it’s reading, taking a walk, or listening to music.
2. Stay connected: Spending time with loved ones can be a great way to boost your mood and reduce stress. Whether you stay in touch via text or in person, quality time with those you care about is crucial for maintaining mental wellness.
3. Get outside: Take advantage of the warmer weather and get some fresh air! Exposing yourself to natural light and spending time in nature has been shown to improve mood and reduce anxiety.
4. Eat mindfully: There are no ‘bad’ foods, but what we put into our bodies can have a big impact on our mental health. Anti-inflammatory foods like fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, can help fight brain fog and boost feelings of mental wellness. Similarly, limiting processed foods can help your brain feel its best.
5. Exercise: Exercise is a great way to reduce stress, improve sleep, and boost mood. Even just a moderate amount of activity can make a big difference. This summer, move your body often in ways that feel good to you.
6. Be mindful of your thoughts: Pay attention to the way you talk to yourself – are your thoughts positive or negative? If you find yourself thinking negative thoughts, try to reframe them in a more positive light.
7. Seek professional help: If you’re struggling with mental health issues, don’t hesitate to seek professional help. A psychiatrist can provide guidance and support that can be invaluable in managing mental health.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that you’re prioritizing your mental health this summer.
Psychiatry in Santa Monica
If you’re struggling with your mental health this summer, don’t hesitate to reach out for help. Our no-pressure clinicians here in Los Angeles can work with you to figure out whether antidepressants or a non-pharma alternative, like TMS, might work for you. We partner with each patient to understand their unique mental health goals, and help them achieve long-lasting, transformative results. Because you deserve to feel better, and life feels better when you do.
That’s why we offer convenient, affordable appointments that can be scheduled in-person or online. Plus, our psychiatry appointments are covered by most insurance, so you can focus on what’s important. Learn more about Neuro Wellness Spa psychiatry in Santa Monica, CA and feel better today.