MeRT Autism Treatment
Magnetic e-Resonance Therapy (MeRT) is a safe and effective treatment that combines technologies of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS, an FDA cleared therapy), quantitative electroencephalogram (qEEG), and electrocardiogram (ECG/EKG) to deliver treatments scientifically designed for each individual’s unique brain pattern. MeRT can be used alone, or in conjunction with other treatment modalities including therapy and medication.
Neuro Wellness Spa is a leader in personalized brain health and neuromodulation. Using state of the art MeRT technology, our clinicians deliver personalized treatments for a wide variety of brain related disorders and to optimize cognitive performance. MeRT therapy is available at our Manhattan Beach clinic. To learn more about MeRT therapy for autism, contact us today at 1-877-847-3984 or use our contact form.
What is MeRT Therapy?
MeRT is non-invasive and well-tolerated.
Our devices are safe and cleared by the FDA.
MeRT is a drug-free approach that uses magnetic pulses to retrain the brain.
How is Autism Treated with MeRT?
MeRT is a well-tolerated and highly effective approach to symptom relief for those with autism spectrum disorder. MeRT combines rTMS, an FDA-cleared treatment, with qEEG and EKG recordings to individualize treatments to each unique brain pattern.
Patients with developmental differences will often have signature EEG wave activity appearing in the frontal portion of their brain. Their brainwaves are dominated by a mix of slow (Delta & Theta waves) and high (Beta wave) frequency behavior, whereas a neurotypical patient would have dominant alpha waves.
By recording the EEG and using that data to create a personalized treatment protocol, we can entrain the front of the brain to be less disorganized and increase whole brain coherence. Often, MeRT results in improved sleep, improved eye contact and speech, improved social behavior and overall better quality of life.
During MeRT cortical treatment, patients recline in a treatment chair. A TMS magnet is positioned over the patient’s head to deliver a tailored protocol of gentle magnetic pulses to specific areas of the brain. Patients report that the pulses feel like taps on the head. Each treatment session lasts about 30 to 40 minutes, after which patients can immediately return back to their daily routines.
Overall, patients tolerate MeRT treatment very well. The most commonly reported side effect is mild scalp discomfort or mild headache during stimulation, which responds well to over-the-counter analgesics.
If you are interested in MeRT therapy for a loved one struggling with autism spectrum disorder, call Neuro Wellness Spa on 1-877-847-3984 or visit to our Contact Us page.
Signs and Symptoms of Autism
Autism, or autism spectrum disorder (ASD), refers to a broad range of conditions characterized by challenges with social interaction, communication and cognitive function.
Signs and symptoms of autism generally appear before the age of three. Symptoms can vary in intensity over time and can vary from person to person. Characteristics of autism spectrum disorder generally fall into two categories:
- Social interaction and communication problems including difficulty relating to others, trouble understanding other people’s feelings or talking about their own feelings and trouble expressing needs.
- Restricted and repetitive patters of behaviors, interests or activities including hand-flapping and toe-walking, playing in an uncommon way, unusual reactions to the way things smell, taste, look, feel or sound and trouble adapting when a routine changes.
Timely and high-quality intervention for autism is crucial and helps improve learning, communication and social skills, as well as underlying brain development.
- Autism is diagnosed over four times more frequently in boys than in girls
- Autism spectrum disorder is one of the fastest-growing developmental disorders in the United States. ASD is more common than childhood cancer, diabetes and AIDS combined.
- Autism spectrum disorder affects all nationalities, all creeds, all religions, all races and both sexes. It doesn’t differentiate or affect only one group or another.
- The earlier autism spectrum disorder is diagnosed and treated, the better. Outcomes for children’s lives are significantly improved with early diagnosis and treatment.
- Comorbid conditions often associated with autism include Fragile X, allergies, asthma, epilepsy, bowel disease, gastrointestinal/digestive disorders, persistent viral infections, PANDAS, feeding disorders, anxiety disorder, bipolar disorder, ADHD, Tourette Syndrome, OCD, sensory integration dysfunction, sleeping disorders, immune disorders, autoimmune disorders, and neuroinflammation.
Autism is treatable, contact our team to learn more about how we can help.
For more information about the services we offer, including MeRT, contact us today.