Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) therapy is a non-invasive, non-drug, and FDA-cleared treatment that is safe and effective for a range of conditions affecting mental health.
There are many TMS centers all over the country. With so many options when it comes to TMS therapy, it’s important to understand what to look for and how to choose the right TMS provider for you.
Red Flags in TMS Therapy Providers
There are a few things that a TMS provider should provide, ask, or perform to ensure that the treatment is effective and that the patient is as safe as possible. Here are a few red flags in TMS providers that may indicate you should look somewhere else to receive TMS therapy.
- They don’t review your mental health history with you in-depth.
- They don’t coordinate care with your regular doctor or therapist.
- They don’t ask if you have any metal in your body or implanted devices.
- They don’t let you ask questions.
- They won’t discuss the benefits or side effects of TMS therapy.
- They can’t provide patient outcome data.
TMS Therapy Training
Is your TMS provider recognized as an expert? How experienced is their treatment team Here’s a basic outline of what you should look for in a TMS provider:
- A physician or psychiatrist with a doctorate or medical degree
- Certification of training from an accredited college or hospital
- Length of experience and recognition as a TMS provider
You can also browse the Clinical TMS Society website, where you can find approved members who perform the service at a local office near you.
TMS Therapy and Insurance
Since TMS therapy is FDA-cleared for use in several mental health disorders, it’s very likely that your insurance can cover it. Paying for TMS without insurance can be costly, so it’s important to ensure your TMS provider accepts your specific insurance plan if you’re planning on using insurance to cover the cost. Some of the most common insurance specifications for receiving coverage for your TMS therapy include:
- A patient has been diagnosed with Severe Major Depressive Disorder by a doctor.
- The patient meets certain criteria on standardized rating scales.
- The treatment is done under the supervision of a qualified physician.
The care team at Neuro Wellness Spa can help get you the information you need about insurance coverage under your specific plan.
The most important thing when selecting the right TMS provider is choosing someone that you feel comfortable with and someone who has the necessary resources and experience to make your treatment successful. It’s natural and responsible to have questions about medical treatments you are considering undergoing. Remember that TMS therapy is non-invasive and usually results in very few, mild side effects.
Possible side effects from TMS therapy include:
- Mild scalp discomfort
Questions to Ask the TMS Provider
Here’s a simple list of questions that can help your research into TMS therapy.
- Who is the treating provider, and what is their educational background?
- What kind of TMS training has been completed by team members involved in the treatments?
- Are you a member of any accredited group associated with TMS therapy?
- How many TMS sessions have you done in this office? What are your patient outcomes?
- What system do you use for TMS treatments? (There are several FDA-cleared devices, and you can search for the rules of a specific device if you know the vendor).
- Will my insurance company cover the costs of TMS therapy?
- If I have side effects, can I call someone from this office?
- If I am uncomfortable during the procedure, can I speak up?
Questions to Ask Yourself when Choosing a TMS Therapy Provider
As much as you should do research on getting a reputable and effective TMS provider, you should look for the provider to ask certain questions.
- Do they listen to your concerns?
- Do they answer all questions completely in terms that are easy to understand?
- Do they seem to care about your mental health needs?
- Do they offer a supportive environment?
- Does the team respect you?
- Do you feel comfortable sharing your mental health information with the company?
Schedule Your No Obligation Informational Session Today
Neuro Wellness Spa is ready to answer all your questions with a trusted, certified, and accredited team to help you understand the process, risks, and rewards of TMS therapy. Neuro Wellness Spa is also in-network with most major insurance companies.
To find the right TMS provider for you, call Neuro Wellness Spa today.